This was more or less a color and technique study. I painted the water first, experimenting with creating movement. While the watercolor paint was wet, I misted some spray of clean water to create foam in the ocean and atmospheric conditions of moisture. I then added some darker color to suggest shadow and depth. Afterwards, I found this egret coming in for a landing and thought he would be perfect for this action filled painting. I especially loved his gold feet against the blue/green background. Later on, it needed more variation in color, so I added the pinks and golds. I added deeper color in the waves and more splashing water! Then it became a finished painting.